Chapter IV

-You’re late! - A familiar girl’s voice rang through Kuroi’s ears as he entered the locker room.

-I just came from Sports class, give me a break will you... - He sighed, throwing himself on a bench.

-No breaks for you, and where’s your uniform necktie? - Sochin asked, inspecting him. - Also, that last button there has a use to it!

Makoto sat on a bench on the opposite side, simultaneously amused and feeling sorry for Kuroi in his sister’s hands.

-Carrying your tie in your pocket... Have your parents never taught you proper dressing etiquette at school? - She complained yet again, making him stand still while tying his tie around his shirt collar.

-Let me do that... - He said, slowly pulling away her hands and tying the knot himself. - And yeah, they haven’t. My mother died when I was 5 and my father... He never really cared, so much I live in a student residence now.


The girl looked down.


-I’m sorry, I didn’t know...

-You don’t need to apologize. Can we go now?

He tucked one hand in his pocket and held his bag over his shoulder with the other. He had also tidied his hair a little and the image he gave off was much more serious and composed than usual, making him seem like any other Academy student. It somehow seemed to fit him, but he looked slightly uncomfortable about it.





Night fell pretty fast for a late spring day, or maybe that was just Kuroi’s mind tricking him.

Makoto seemed really enthusiastic about showing him his Manga and video game collection. “But then again”, he thought, “what is he not enthusiastic about?

He was surprised to notice the older brother was playing games over the afternoon while Sochin was doing her homework. He was sitting at a corner, rushing through every question of his own homework, but couldn’t resist his curiosity.

-Say, Makoto...

The blonde boy seemed startled for an instant before pausing the game, removing his headset and turning to him.

-What is it, Senpai?

-...Aren’t you going to do your homework?

-Oh, that... I did it during lunch break and other classes, to save time. - He promptly replied. - It’s easy enough. By the way, how’s yours going?

-Hm, I’m just scribbling fast answers next to the question in the textbook... I think I’m about finished. - Kuroi answered.

Truth was that he still had more questions to finish, but helplessly felt like doing something else.

-I have an extra controller if you want to play. - Makoto suggested. - How does that sound?


The other boy discretly looked at his own hands and hesitated for a second.


-...I don’t think I know how to play video games. - He said while putting his stuff aside, getting up and walking towards the window.



The fresh breeze struck his face and felt quiet and relieving, and made him forget about his surroundings for a long while.



When he turned back inside, Sochin was casually standing behind him. She looked even shorter in a pink sleeveless top and shorts set, he thought.

-Isn’t there a backyard where you live? - She asked, as softly as he had ever heard her say anything.

-The residence is mainly for poor college students who can’t afford renting an apartment of their own. It doesn’t have much, but feels like heaven compared to living with my father...

-You and your father don’t really get along, do you...?

-I’m better off away from that man, that’s all I have to say. - Kuroi replied. His eyes seemed distant.

-I’m sorry for bringing it up... But how do you pay for the residence then? - The girl asked.

-I work for the manager of a small warehouse nearby. Honestly he must be mad at me right now for not showing up, but once I’m out of this world it won’t really matter... - He said, apparently amused.

She tried to imagine his boss, but only the image of a short, fat old man with a moustache who was getting all red from anger would pop up in her head. She giggled at this thought.

-I still don’t have a clue about how to open a portal, though...

He shook his head slightly.

-Don’t worry about that, once the time is right it will come out naturally.

-How do you know those things? Or are you just assuming...

-I’ve met other Mediums before... But... Uh, nevermind.

Sochin made an awkward face. They had only met one week ago, but she still felt like he wasn’t telling him any of the things she wanted to know about.

-Well, I’d still like to ask why do you want to go to that other world, too...

-Dreffel.

-Huh?

-That world, it’s called Dreffel. You’ll learn more about it... in time.

-AAAH, YOU’RE ANNOYING! - She yelled. - Always with that “in time” kind of answer!!

-And you’re loud, way too loud! - He replied, taking his fingers off his ears. - I would tell you everything if I could! Besides, I didn’t come here just to freeload on you guys.

She pouted.

-I feel like you’re gonna take all weekend to say anything relevant...

Maybe we don’t have that long”, he thought to himself. But on the outside, he just gave her a kind smile.





Not too long before dinner, the two siblings’ parents arrived.

Kuroi learned that both were biologists and had just come from a conference.

Their mother, Kime Hanako, was a short middle-aged woman. She looked pretty for her age and was nice but not very talkative. In appearance, Makoto seemed to somehow take after her the most. Their father, though, was not Japanese. His name was Frederick Stuart, a tall and fair-haired american immigrant. Maybe because of his physique, he looked like a workman rather than a researcher.

The boy was surprised by how different the two acted; in contrast to their mother, who appeared a bit serious, their father was a rather cheerful and easygoing person who immediately made him feel at ease. It seemed like, being a foreigner, that man wasn’t as strict as he would have imagined before the two meeting.

Kuroi liked him, he would be happy to have had someone like that as his own father, even.

-So... Kuroi, right? How old are you?

-S-sixteen! - The boy replied, snapping out of his thoughts. Only then did he notice he hadn’t started eating but merely looked around while holding his bowl of food and his chopsticks.

-Oh, so you’re older than Makoto here. - Frederick said, patting his son’s head with maybe a bit too much vigor. - I hope he doesn’t annoy you much, this boy has a lot of energy!

Makoto made a face like he wanted to complain. Kuroi smiled and shook his head, then started eating.

The homemade food was delicious. At the residence he never dreamed of having something so good for a regular meal. “The cons of a provisory life”, he thought to himself while enjoying another bite. Even in Dreffel, a home wouldn’t be awaiting him.

Deep inside he wished to live like that forever, with delicious food and someone to make him wear his uniform right before leaving home in the morning.

A family.





Because it was so warm, and maybe to seem more considerate than if he used his bed, Makoto had laid a Summer futon for himself next to the one he placed for Kuroi to sleep on. Although the room was somewhat messy, it was large and comfortable. Despite the temperature, the older boy was wearing a long-sleeved shirt to bed.

-I usually wake up late, but feel free to wake me up in the morning if you’re bored. - The younger one said. - There’s a lot of things I’d like to talk with you about!

Am I out of my mind?”, Kuroi thought while he nodded in agreement. “I would normally find someone like this annoying, but I feel like this guy can be trusted even though I barely know him...

It was true. Something about Makoto seemed to make people comfortable around him despite his energetic behaviour, and yet it wasn’t some sort of spell; he was perhaps the most common human he had ever known.

-Ah... feel free to wake me up during the night if you find it necessary, too. - The brown-haired boy replied after those thoughts. - It hasn’t happened for a while and is kind of embarrassing, but I sometimes talk during sleep...

The blonde boy chuckled.

-That’s fine, since we’re not at school I can give you a push without feeling guilty... Nee, Senpai?

-Don’t get too ahead of yourself, Makoto-Kouhai! I might keep you awake all night!

The two boys laughed together, but Kuroi quickly put on a serious face and looked at the other in the eyes.

-Now seriously... - He said. - There’s also something I need to talk to you about in the morning. Regarding your sister.

Despite lowering his voice tone, he put some emphasis on these last words.

Makoto stared at him gravely.

-Don’t think about that for now, just get some rest. - Kuroi promptly added, hinting a smile to calm him down. - It’s not even wise to mention it while we’re sleepy. Good night.

-Good night... - The blonde one replied, lying down with a sigh.

The lights went out and the backyard lit up by the moon outside became visible through the open window. The white roses in a flowerpot were dyed a shining blue, almost as if they glowed on their own. Kuroi still spent some time staring at them and back at the crescent moon before falling asleep.

It was a truly beautiful night.





Early that Saturday, the doorbell rang. Since none of the boys had come out of the room yet, Sochin left the last bit of the toast she was having for breakfast on the table and went to answer.

Odd, we never get visitors so early in the morning...

At the doorstep, an elegant teenage girl with pitch black hair and amber eyes greeted her in a warm voice.

-Good morning, Mera-san... What brings you here? How did you know this place?

-Oh... I happen to be living nearby and saw you arrive yesterday after classes. I thought I could show up for a morning greeting, and... Are you up for some talking? Since I don’t know many people around here yet...

-I won’t mind but... If you saw us yesterday, you probably noticed we have Kuroi-kun over...

Mera looked down.

-I’ve already cooled down my head since before yesterday. Avoiding him is no good since we’re in the same class...

Sochin nodded and let her inside. The two sat down on the couch.

-Would you like to have something? There’s still some warm tea in the kitchen...

-Thank you, but I already had breakfast. Nee, Kime-san...

-Just my given name is alright. - The blonde girl replied with a smile. - But what were you saying?

-Eh, you mean it? Well... then... So-chan? - Mera hesitated. - I wonder, how did you and your brother get to know Kuroi?


Sochin was about to tell her, but remained silent. If she revealed the reason why Kuroi kidnapped her when they first met, the girl wouldn’t probably believe her. And even if she did, keeping her ability a secret had been an unspoken rule between her and Makoto from the very first time she revealed signs of a strange power.


-He... protected us from some gangsters not too long ago, and since then my brother seems to enjoy his company a lot. - She finally replied, trying not to lie too badly. - We ended up inviting him over to study during the weekend.

-So he hasn’t changed a bit... Still getting into all those fights, I would be glad if you two could try and keep him out of it as much as possible... It’s strange that he’s studying, though. He’s always been such an easy learner during classes, getting away with it without effort...

-Well, High School is in a different league, I guess... - The younger one said.





-Makoto... There is something I need to ask you.

The blonde boy blinked several times while sitting upright. Kuroi’s serious voice had him upset.

-Go ahead...

-How far would you be willing to go in order to protect your sister?

This caught the boy by surprise, but he didn’t hesitate to answer.

-She is my only sister and we’ve always been together... I’d go anywhere in the world for her sake! - He replied with conviction.

-What about another world?



-...



A heavy silence swallowed them, only interrupted by the voices of the two girls in the living room.

-Everything happened much faster than I ever expected. - Kuroi finally managed to say. - There are more people after Sochin and nothing I could do would stop them. I can only give you my word on it, but Mera isn’t the innocent high schooler she seems...

-S-so... shes dangerous? We need to get Sochin away from her right now!

-If we just burst in between them, we might cause something really bad. She’s the same as I am, although we’re enemies.

The same as he is...

Makoto reflected over these words for a moment. He had seen Kuroi defeat an entire group of gangsters with little effort and jump from a rooftop while still landing on both feet, but what actually allowed him to do so remained to the boy a mystery as great as the one surrounding his own sister.

That was precisely why he had to agree. With a slight nod of his head, that morning was settled.

-It won’t be easy, and I’ll need your help. I promise to explain everything to you both as soon as we are safe.

-...I’ll do as you say.

No comments:

Post a Comment