Chapter III

Question five.


A voice echoed in the middle of nowhere, too blurry to be perceived.


Question five.


Then came a book, and its cover was hard. Kuroi woke up with a headache to his teacher furiously staring at him.

-Seishin-kun, won’t you enlighten your colleagues about the answer to question five? Or do you need to sleep over the issue for a little longer?

-Uhh... - The boy said, rubbing his head embarrassedly. He stared at the blackboard for a few seconds, as if trying to make some quick sense out of the scribblings he saw with his blurred sight. - Sensei, I can’t read that number over there. I think there’s a cockroach covering it...

-A cockroach? W-where?!

But he didn’t need to point it out for his teacher. Like a lifesaver, the bell rang for morning break and he ran out of the classroom faster than anyone could follow.

-Tsk, Maths... Why would I need such a thing, anyway? They should teach us how to hunt in the wild, instead... That I can use.





-Aah, it’s getting so hot... I wonder how long is it until we switch to the summer uniform... - Makoto commented, getting out of his classroom. - This tie is killing me, too...

Suddenly, he saw what appeared to be Kuroi running him by at an insane speed.

He blinked a couple times before realizing what could be going on.

-Running in the hallways? Geez, what’s up with that punk! - Sochin commented, joining him from her classroom. - I bet he did something stupid this time, again...

-Who knows, he probably wouldn’t tell even if we asked... - Makoto replied, smiling a little. - At any rate, have you heard the news?

-Hm? Which news? - She asked. - Haven’t heard of anything today yet...

-Someone was saying we have a new transfer student joining us today! I think she’s gonna be in Kuroi-senpai’s class...

-Really? I’d like to meet her! I mean... it’ll be pretty bad if someone like him is the first image she gets of our Academy...

-Hey, that’s a bit mean... In any case, maybe she’s at the Students Room. Wanna go take a look?

-Un! - She nodded.





The Room was lively as always. Lots of students talking, a few groups seemed to be comparing test results.

Next to the announcement board a tall, black-haired girl stood. She seemed to be focusing on her reading.

-Hello, you’re the new transfer student, right? - Sochin asked, walking in her direction with a smile.

The black-haired girl turned and smiled back.

-I guess that’s me... Nice to meet you!

-Same here! Say, are you having trouble picking a club to join after classes?

-Yes, I was trying t-

-GAAH, THEY HAD AN AMERICAN COMICS CLUB HERE?! HOW COME I DIDN’T SEE IT WHEN I HAD TO PICK ONE? - Makoto went, interrupting their conversation.

-That boy over there looks an awful lot similar to you... Are you two siblings? - The transfer student asked.

-Errrgh... Yes, I’m afraid so...

-Is he always so loud?

-Only when he wants to suffer... - The blonde girl said, pulling Makoto by an ear next to the two.

-That hurts!! - He complained.

-Oh hello, nice to meet you!

-H-hi... - He replied.

In that moment, the only thing that struck his mind was how short her miniskirt actually seemed.

-My name is Sochin, - The younger one said. - and this here is my nii-chan, Makoto. What’s your name?

-Kohaku Mera. - She promptly replied, pulling down her skirt just a little bit. - Say, I don’t want to be a burden but... Do you know someone who could show me around the Academy? Since this is my first day here, I’m a little lost...

-We can be that “someone”! - Makoto said enthusiastically. - Right, Sochin?

Why is he being so enthusiastic all of a sudden...”, the girl thought to herself, but nodded anyway.






-And here is the Music Club room... oh, it’s ringing already? - Sochin said. - We need to hurry back to class now!

-It’s fine, I should be going to my first class too... - Mera answered, bowing down. - Thank you very much!

-Our pleasure, Kohaku-san~! - Makoto said as both left the corridor.


She walked around for a few seconds before spotting her classroom, then slowly opened the door.


-There you are. - Said the teacher, a tall, middle-aged man wearing glasses and a suit who stood in front of the blackboard. - Please come in so you can introduce yourself to the class.

She nodded and stepped inside.


Suddenly, the sound of a chair being dragged and two hands hitting a tabletop cut through the relative quietude of the classroom.


On the second row from the front, Kuroi stood with an expression of shock on his face, speechless. His classmates turned to see what was going on; it was the first time they ever saw him like that.

-Seishin-san, explain what you’re doing standing. We’re in class! - The teacher exclaimed in indignation.


The boy hesitated for a few seconds, staring at the new student. There was something awfully familiar about her warm, amber-colored eyes and her feline beauty.


-N-no... It’s nothing... I’m very sorry. - He replied, visibly disturbed but sitting back down. - It won’t happen again, please go on.

-I sincerely hope not. Now, would you please tell the class your name?

She nodded again and smiled openly, as if she hadn’t noticed Kuroi’s reaction. She took a stick of chalk and wrote down her name in Kanji on the blackboard.

-I am Kohaku Mera, 17 years old. I recently moved from Hokkaido and... umm... I am looking forward to knowing everyone! - She said, trying to keep smiling and bowing down at the end.

-That was good. Now, please pick a seat so we can start our class...

But she was already headed to the second row. Without thinking twice she pulled the chair at the free desk right next to Kuroi, leaving the entire class in awe.

-I hope you don’t mind. - She said in a soft voice, loud enough for the others to hear.

Kuroi didn’t give her a word in return, and she sat down.





He did not pay attention during the whole class. When it was over and lunchtime started, she followed him outside without a word.

-What are you even doing here... - He suddenly asked, turning to her. His expression changed from neutral to serious.

-I am attending High School, just like you are. Is it something so surprising that I would, Kuro-chan?

-Oh, I see that you two are getting along already! That’s good! - Makoto said, joining the two. Sochin was right by his side.

Mera nodded, giving them another of her smiles.

-You see, Kuro-chan and I already knew each other before! It was such a pleasant surprise to find out we were in the same class!

The younger boy tried to refrain from laughing after hearing what she called Kuroi. The other was still confused about what to say, but quickly snapped out of it:

-We’re not getting along! This person... I... She followed me outside, we’re not friends!!

The two siblings stared, confused.

-That hurts, Kuro-chan! I thought you would have become more gentle after all this time... Are you still unable to get over everything we went through together?

-I don’t even know what you’re talking about!

-Are you going to say you also don’t know about THIS? - She said, suddenly pushing her skirt up to show her right hip.

Some exclamations were heard around, but she pretended to ignore them.


Across her hip, a dark red marking that seemed tattooed onto her skin was visible. It looked like a symbol of some sort.



She’s going that far...”, Kuroi thought.



-It’s hidden by his sleeve, - She said, pointing at him. - But he has a similar symbol tattooed on his left forearm! We got them together, as proof that we were a couple!

Sochin looked at both in shock.

-Senpai... is that true? - Her brother asked.

Kuroi instinctively took a hand to his left forearm, nervous.

-I-it’s not!! It’s all a huge lie! To say I ever had anything to do with her... just isn’t...

-But, if you really have that tattoo... You two even went so far together... - Sochin said.

-Of course he has it, I know what I’m saying! Everything was so perfect before you moved away... Kuro-chan, how can you deny everything now?! - The black-haired girl cried. Her voice was starting to get shaky and her face was all red.

-Quit the acting, Mera!! I don’t know what you intend with this scene, but it’s not funny at all!



She looked at him into the eyes for a couple seconds before bursting out in tears. Without a word, she turned her back on the group and left running.


An awkward silence descended upon them. Sochin stared at Kuroi, waiting for him to say anything.


-...Believe whoever you’d like. - He said. - I feel like I’m wasting my time here...





Hours later, after the afternoon classes, Kuroi found Sochin waiting for him at the lockers.

-You came here to accuse me? - He asked, sitting on a bench and putting his sneakers back on. - I’ve had enough just seeing her face all day.

-I didn’t come to talk to you about that.  - She replied. - I’ve made my decision... I will help you reach that world you speak of so much when the time is come. But we need a place to talk about all this.

-I guess it wouldn’t be good for you to stay out here at night. - He said in a quiet tone. - When and where, then?

-Come over at our house tomorrow after classes, then you can sleep over in nii-chan’s room. - She said. - It’s Friday and I imagine you’re not really part of any club, or are you? Oh, and try to look presentable. It’d be good if you could wear your uniform normally just for once.

-You’re inviting me over? That came as a surprise... - He sighed. - But are you sure the uniform thing is really necessary...?

-Of course, our parents arrive at night and if they saw you dressed like that there’s no way they’d let you stay over! I had to say you were a really tidy, well-behaved person just to convince them!

-Pfff, that is a pain indeed... - He replied, getting up with his hands in his pockets. - But I guess there’s no choice, then.

She followed him with her eyes, still distrustful.

-Oh, and... - The boy pat her head lightly, changing his expression into an unexpectedly kind smile. - Thank you.



At that moment, her cheeks went slightly red. For a second, Sochin thought he looked like a totally different person when he smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment