Chapter I


-There he is!!

-Don't look, you might make him mad!

-He doesn't look too dangerous...

-That guy is one of the Academy's most feared students, there's word running around that he's involved in gang fights...

-I heard he can even launch an adult through the air!

-Just that? Word out there is that he is able to render someone unconscious with one single punch...

-Eh?! That’s just creepy...





"Tsch, say all you want. It's not like I'm not used to it..."





The young man with spiky, reddish-brown hair tied in a ponytail let out a faint sigh and picked a juice box from the vending machine at the student hall.

His vivid green eyes were drawn to a young girl with long, blonde hair who was trying to ignore him only a few meters away. She appeared to be around 13, three years younger than him.

He cleared his throat and thought of trying to pull a conversation, but something inside him told him not to.
Next time he looked, the girl was already walking away with her friends.

"I can't tell her just like that... What should I do now...?"

-What, you’re going home already? Is everything alright, So-chan?

-I’m just feeling a little dizzy... Please tell my brother I’m going on ahead. - The blonde girl replied with a smile. - Don’t worry about me!

The other girls waved and she stepped out of the student hall, breathing deeply as the wind blew on her face. She looked around nervously, as if feeling she was not alone in the yard, but saw nobody.



Suddenly a cold hand wrapped around her face and covered her mouth, preventing her from screaming.

-Sorry, let’s talk someplace else. - She heard a soft voice from behind. - I won’t hurt you.
The girl struggled, but it was in vain.


With nobody around who could see them, she was taken to  what appeared to be an abandoned warehouse not far from the school building.
Her captor finally let her loose and she quickly turned around to him.

-You brute!! What do you want from me?

He seemed to be looking for the right words during a brief moment.

-I have to talk to you, without anyone around. This is gonna seem crazy, but I need your help... Will you listen to me, Kime Sochin-san?

-H-how do you know my name... HAVE YOU BEEN SPYING ON ME?!

-Please, calm down!! - He said, trying not to scare her even more. - I’m no stalker, you know...

-Then what are you? I want to know what’s going on, NOW!! - Sochin yelled nervously.

-You can perceive what others don’t even imagine, am I right?




-... - She was unable to say a word.

-You don’t have to answer, your eyes just gave it all away. - The boy continued. - My name is Seishin Kuroi, High School second-grader. But I guess you must already know that from my... reputation...

-Who doesn’t. - She said crudely.

-I see you’re not very talkative. Very well, let’s get straight to the point... You want to know more about your ability, don’t you? - Kuroi proceeded, trying to ignore her manners.

-I don’t know what are you talking about. I’m a student just like any other... I...




He smirked and rapidly attempted to poke her forehead with two fingers. The girl rolled up, startled, and his hands were immediately repelled backwards by some unseen force in front of her.

-It’s not too powerful yet. - He said. - But that’s definitely something I expected from a Medium.

-A... “Medium”? - She asked with hesitating voice, trying not to seem too interested.

Suddenly the sound of a rusty metal gate being opened interrupted them, followed by heavy breathing.

-Give... her back...

-Nii-chan!! - She cried.

-Huh? Who are you? - Kuroi asked, getting back up on his feet and turning to the entrance.

A light-haired boy wearing his school uniform shirt unbuttoned over a t-shirt stood there, challengingly staring at him. He was tall, even a little taller than Kuroi, and very skinny. However, he didn’t look very old.

-I don’t have to tell you my name, just give my sister back before I go and get her with my own hands!

-Those are bold words... But, I’m sorry to disappoint you. My business is not with you, kid.

-It is now! - The boy replied, dashing towards the older one with his left fist ready for a strike.


Kuroi stepped aside effortlessly, grabbed his hand as he attacked and let him throw himself to the ground.

-Nii-chan, are you alright?!

-I’m not hurt... - He said, getting back up. - I’ve no idea what is going on here, but I’ll make this guy regret messing around with you...

-I advise you to stop before you’re the one regretting it. - Kuroi said, pointing towards the entrance with his head.

A group of boys dressed in a different uniform from theirs showed up from the gate the younger one left open. They seemed amused by the scene, and Sochin caught a glimpse of something similar to brass knuckles in one’s pocket.


Gangsters here? What do I do now?”, the younger boy thought, struck by fear.


-You two get out of here, quickly!! - Kuroi ordered, stepping between them and the gang.

-How sweet, Seishin’s got two new buddies! Won’t you let us play with them as well, chap? - Said the one who seemed to be the group leader.

-They have nothing to do with you and your dirty little games!

The older brother took Sochin by her arm and tried to run, but she was petrified with fear.

-Sochin, let’s go! This is not our problem!!

The girl shook her head and tears started flowing down her cheeks.

-My legs... they... THEY WON’T MOVE!!

-YOU BASTARD, WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?!

Kuroi didn’t even have time to answer. One of the gangsters approached the two siblings and drew a knife from his pocket.

-Now, let’s see if these two have anything valuable... Shall I start with the young lady? - He spoke to himself in a cynical note. The boy also turned frozen solid.

-I said... THEY ARE NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!

Kuroi dashed like an arrow towards the gangster and punched through his stomach with surprising nimbleness. He fell on the ground, unconscious.

Enraged, the others ran towards him as they pulled out all sorts of small weapons. Their eyes showed a thirst for blood and violence the two siblings had never seen before.

Kuroi dodged the first few attacks, got scratched by another one and spinned over one leg, kicking a bunch of his attackers out of the way. He then crouched and sweep-kicked the first ones he dodged, causing them to lose balance.

The group leader approached him from the back and prepared to punch his head. Kuroi saw him in time, but couldn’t move fast enough.




Shoot, I can’t do it... not here...




He felt the adversary’s fist hit his face, but it seemed awkwardly weak. The gang leader fell on the ground, expressionless, revealing the light-haired boy holding a piece of a wooden plank behind him and shaking.

-...Thank you. - The older one said. - I thought I told you to get out of here, though...

-You got attacked to protect us. - The other replied. - Consider this... gratitude, or something?

Kuroi couldn’t help but let out a faint smile.

-Let’s get out of here, what would everyone say if they saw the class representative together with this punk? - Sochin said, back to her senses.


Her brother didn’t know what to say.


-Just go, I don’t want to be the bad guy here instead of these losers on the ground. - The brown-haired boy said. - By the way, your name is...?

The younger boy seemed hesitating for a second, then replied:

- Kime Makoto. Junior High third-grader.

After this, the two siblings walked away and disappeared at a crossroad some meters ahead. Only Makoto seemed to look back once.



-...I guess they aren’t such bad kids after all. - Kuroi sighed. - But there’s no use running away from it anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment